Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Springboard of My Career

One fine summer day of April 26, 2002 at exactly 2:00 PM we had our commencement exercises held at People's Center, Tacloban City, Philippines. I graduated from the University of the Philippines with the degree in BS Biology. As my name was called to get my diploma on stage, I was stunned for a second and took a deep breathe. "This is just the beginning for a long journey ahead." I whispered to my self. Then I turned my head to the left trying to see my parents sitting on the left side adjacent to where the graduates were seated. Their faces were filled with joy. I knew they were so proud of me. Then I headed to the stage and got my diploma.

The diploma i was holding at that moment was simply a piece of paper but it means a lot to me. All my hardships and sacrifices with my studies, my hopes and dreams in the future were held together in that one piece of paper. Same with the sacrifices of my parents just to send me to one of the best universities here in the Philippines. Not to mention also the times when they were longing for me. I was miles away from home just to study college. I went home only every summer and during Christmas breaks.

At long last, I finished my four-year course in college. I became more confident with my self now than when I was a neophyte in the university. Being radical and fight for what is just for my self and others were only few of the things that my Alma Mater had taught me.

A week had passed since my graduation in college. I was sitting alone in our terrace trying to figure out things. " What am I going to do now after college? Should I work as a researcher or a Biology teacher?. " Those were the things that bothered me for a while. I can't imagine myself as a teacher. I'm quite shy and I hate a lot of eyes staring at me while I'm talking in front, so definitely being a teacher was never an option. My father wanted me to pursue my studies in law school. He really wanted one of his children to become a lawyer, and his prospect was me since I'm the eldest. I turned down my father's suggestion to study law. I just felt I'm not in line with it. I knew I will be having a hard time studying law since I'm a Biology graduate and my orientation was totally different from law preparatory courses.

Suddenly an idea of becoming a Doctor came into my mind. Knowing half of my classmates were too busy then with their application to medical school. "Why not join them?." I said to myself. After all, biology is a preparatory course for medicine. But I had so many apprehensions in mind. Aside from the fact that medical school is too expensive, I will surely miss half the fun of my life when I will start studying medicine. After weighing things over and over again, I finally decided to enroll in medical school. And that was the start of my journey in the winding road of success of becoming a medical Doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment