Friday, February 19, 2010

Wandering Souls In The Hospital



When i was just a kid, I remember my grandmother once told me a soul is the immortal essence of human. And that when a person dies, his soul departs from his body, and will go to heaven or in hell. Some Asian cultures believed in reincarnation. Others also believed that some souls wander here on earth for some reasons.

As a Doctor, its so ordinary for us to see someone dies or a dying person in the hospital. Saving lives is one of our duties as a Doctor. None of us is so sure in one way or the other whether a person survives or eventually dies after conducting CPR. Only God knows how long we will live and or when are we going to die. As Doctors we are just stewards of the patients' lives entrusted to us. No matter how we wanted our dying patient to live long, or how much we done our best to resuscitate a patient that has just died at the tip of our nose, it is still the will of God that matters.

Every hospital that I have been to has its own mystery and terrifying ghost stories. It is hard to believe unless you encounter it yourself. A couple of months since i became a licensed Physician I was hired as a General Practitioner or a resident physician in a secondary hospital in a small town in the province of Batangas. The estimated time of travel from Manila is about three to four hours depending on the traffic within the Metropolis before it enters the South Luzon Expressway, and after it exits to the national road going to the provinces in the south.

It was my second week as a Resident Physician in that hospital when I started to feel something strange. It seemed someone was staring at me as I took a rest in the Doctor's lounge. Sometimes it was as if somebody's with me when I had my rounds at night. But I just ignored it. Maybe it was only a product of my imaginative mind. Then one night someone turned on the light and turned on the TV inside the lounge when no one was around. "Weird!." I mumbled to myself. I still shut one's eyes, I was too tired of the day's work and I didn't want to figure out things at that moment. I drifted to sleep in a short while. On the spur of the moment, I woke up at exactly 3:00 in the morning, it was as if I was having a nightmare. But I was so sure of myself, I wasn't having a bad dream. I woke up because I heard footsteps outside the Doctor's lounge. I was too curious who was walking outside that I opened the door. But I saw no one there.My heart was beating so fast, I was having tachycardia and it seemed someone was holding my neck with a cold hands, but my body was feeling hot. I didn't understand what was happening to me at that moment. I wanted to scream but I was struggling hard enough to do so. What I did was grabbed my rosary at my bag then I recited the Lord's Prayer. Then I calmed down. My heart rate went down to normal. I went to the nurse station to know if one of the nurses happened to pass by at the lounge at that time, but all the nurses were in the station sleeping even the nursing attendant was there. And according to one of the nurses, none of them walked around the lobby at 3:00 in the morning. Who's wandering around the hospital every 3:00 in the morning? That remained a mystery for a while.

Weeks passed by, I still went on with my duty in that hospital. I begun to asked the history of the hospital and if others have their own stories too to tell. Then I found out that the hospital was originally the house of one of our Pediatric consultants, and was converted into a hospital few years back. The Doctor's lounge was once the room of the Pediatrician's son who died of Leukemia 10 years ago. The Medical Technologist also told me that he saw a white lady in the laboratory. The hospital cook also told me that she saw the patient who died a month ago in the lobby staring at her. They told me souls of the dead do walk aimlessly in the hospital for some reasons we didn't know.Those were some of the terrifying stories in the hospital that I had have heard about.

I tried to seek for explanation and tried to comprehend why souls still wander in the hospital and everywhere. Why do they kept on coming back to the place where they have died? Why do they tried to connect with the living? Do they wanted to scare us? Do they wanted to seek justice? Or is there something they wanted us to know or do for them? There's a lot of questions on my mind but the answers were so few. It is one of the limitations of science I daresay. One thing I was so certain of as a Christian, the wandering souls or spirits of the dead need a lot of our prayers for them to rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment